Connect with us

NEWS

Thousands of prospective Fire Service, GIS recruits throng El-Wak, FATS to go through screening

Published

on

The Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) and Ghana Immigration Service (GIS) yesterday began screening processes for prospective recruits in Accra.

Thousands of applicants of these services thronged the Fire Academy Training School (FATS) at James Town and the El-Wak sports stadium to commence their screening processes.

As early as 4:00am the prospective recruits gathered at the centres to begin Body Mass Index and documentation processes, among others.

There was brisk businesses for people who engaged them for the services of photocopying and other services.

The personnel of the GNFS and GIS had a hard time controlling the applicants as a result of their numbers.

TheGhanaian Timesobserved that the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) protocols thus wearing of face masks, use of hand sanitisers among others were adhered to.

The Accra Regional Fire Commander of the GNFS, Assistant Chief Fire Officer (ACFO) Alhaji Nuhu Gibril in an interview with theGhanaian Timessaid the exercise was a four day exercise that would last till Thursday.

He said applicants who passed the screening test would go for an aptitude test on Saturday at their allocated centres.

The Regional Commander urged applicants not to produce falsified documents during the screening as that would be detrimental to their recruitment and could put them in trouble.

“Culprits would be arrested by personnel of law enforcement agencies and prosecuted to serveas a deterrent to others,” he added.

ACFO said similar exercises were being conducted simultaneously across the country.

He cautioned the applicants not to engage the services of ‘middle men’ in any process.

‘’Don’t trust any middle man. If you have any challenges just go straight to the table for the officers in Uniform to address them for you,” he said.

ACFO Gibril assured that the exercise would be conducted in an atmosphere that would ensure order and fast processes.

Meanwhile, at the GIS screening, potential recruits who could not match the standard height of 163cm for female and 173cm for males were disqualified.

People with tattoos and more than one ear piercing on the part of females were also disqualified.

An Immigration Officer who did not give his name to theGhanaian Timesattributed the disqualification of most potential recruits to the false information they provided during the filling of the application forms, which had to do with height, age, among others.

Mr Adjetey Alexander, a GIS potential recruit told theGhanaian Timesthat he was satisfied with the process and did not face any problem because he had all his documents intact.

On the other hand, another applicant who wanted to remain anonymous, and a Master’s Degree holder expressed his displeasure with the process describing it as a tedious one.

To him, his decision to apply for recruitment into the GIS was due to the unemployment situation in the country.

Veronica Antwi, a WASSCE Certificate holder and a first time applicant was also unhappy with the process describing it as “frustrating,” as she had been waiting for her turn for long in a queue.

She, however, explained that her decision to apply was due to her interest for the Service.

A similar exercise also took place at the University of Ghana Sports Stadium simultaneously.

BY ANITA NYARKO-YIRENKYI, ABIGAIL ARTHUR, BENJAMIN ARCTONN-TETTEY & JESSEL LARTEY THERSON-COFIE

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

National: 2023 Budget: TUC to reject government’s salary projection of ₵44.9m

Published

on

By

Deputy-General-Secretary-of-the-Trades-Union-Congress-TUC-Joshua-Ansah

After several attempts to reach an agreement with government over an increment in their base pay, the Trades Union Congress (TUC) is expected to meet government on Wednesday to finalise a deal.

But before that meeting gets underway, the Trades Union Congress is warning that it will not accept government’s projections in the 2023 Budget.

The Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, reading the 2023 Budget in Parliament projected compensation of employees at GH¢44,990 million (5.6% of GDP).

Earlier, government also proposed a 12% salary increment during the last negotiation with Organised Labour but it was turned down.

 

Speaking on JoyNews’ PM Express on Tuesday, Deputy General Secretary of TUC, Joshua Ansah stated that they would not agree to the projected figure.

According to Mr Ansah, government must expect a fight if they turn up at the meeting with the same proposal.

JoyNews/AdomNews · TUC to reject government’s salary projection in 2023 Budget
“There is no way Organised Labour is also going to accept what has been put in the budget. Well, if the government has made up its mind that it is the way it thinks that he can actually force down the throat of workers, then we are in for a big fight, because there is no way government can pay anything below what we are expecting,” he said.

He noted that Organised Labour will not compromise on their demand for 60% increment in their base pay.

Meanwhile, the President of the Ghana Medical Association, Dr. Justice Yankson says government has created a problem by not reaching an agreement with the labour unions earlier.

JoyNews/AdomNews · Dr Yankson on organised labour and government’s negotiations
He believes the current mess could have been prevented.

“These are some of the problems that sometimes we create for ourselves. We had a whole period in which we could have sorted these things, we waited to the last end. Now we can see that we are on a collition course, it is clear,” he said.

Source: Myjoyonline

 

Continue Reading

NEWS

Politics: Wenchi High Court throws out petition against NPP MP’s 2020 election victory

Published

on

By

A Wenchi High Court has thrown out a petition against New Patriotic Party (NPP) legislator in the Techiman South 2020 election.

The petitioner was seeking the nullification of the poll which saw the NPP candidate, Martin Agyei Mensah Korsah, emerge victorious.

But at the hearing Wednesday, the court explained that the NDC 2020 Parliamentary candidate, Christopher Bayere, who was pursuing the matter, failed to prove the burden of petitioning.

The court was attended by some leaders of the NDC including General Secretary, Johnson Asiedu Nketia.

Wenchi High Court throws out petition against NPP MP’s 2020 election victory
He was sighted leaving the court premises a few minutes before the judgement.

The NDC Parliamentary candidate had contested the EC’s verdict which gave the NPP’s candidate victory with 49,682 votes representing 50.2 percent of the total valid votes cast, whilst the NDC’s candidate had 49,205 votes representing 49.8 percent of the total valid votes cast.

The NDC Parliamentary candidate insisted that the figures were not a true reflection of the election.

According to him, per the pink sheets of the NDC agents at each of the 267 polling stations, he garnered 50,306 votes in the Parliamentary election whilst the 1st Respondent polled 50,013 votes.

Wenchi High Court throws out petition against NPP MP’s 2020 election victory
Electoral Commission fined in 2021

In August 2021, the Electoral Commission of Ghana was fined GH¢4,000 by the court after the Court refused to grant the EC’s request for a stay of proceedings in the dispute on July 30, 2021.

Wenchi High Court throws out petition against NPP MP’s 2020 election victory
The EC’s application for a stay of proceedings was to enable it to file a motion to challenge the ruling of the Court at its previous sitting, when it granted the petitioner a motion to amend the title of the writ.

TCounsel for the EC, Emmanuel Addae said the stay of proceedings was to enable him to file supplementary statements in support of the application filed by the National Democratic Congress (NDC) candidate, Mr Christopher Beyere Baasongti.

However, reacting to the EC’s stay of proceedings, the Counsel for the petitioner, Justin Teriwajah argued that the motion was frivolous and unnecessarily geared towards delaying the adjudication of the case.

Source: Myjoyonline

 

Continue Reading

NEWS

Football: Asamoah Gyan’s run, Bagbin’s dance and Black Stars fans’ clean-up as fans celebrate S. Korea win in style

Published

on

By

It was the much-needed win for Ghanaians who were largely sitting on tenterhooks for the final quarter of the game.

And from the reactions, after the South Koreans netted a quickfire double between the 58th and 61st minutes, something had to definitely happen.

Kudus rose to the occasion, found himself at the end of a Gideon Mensah cross and curled the ball past the goalkeeper to restore Ghana’s lead and eventually sealed the game for Black Stars.

Asamoah Gyan’s run, Bagbin’s dance and Black Stars fans’ clean-up as fans celebrate S. Korea win in style
The 68th-minute winner triggered a thunderous celebration across the country and on social media.

Despite late attempts from the Koreans, the game ended 3-2 with Ghana earning a vital win in Group H.

Asamoah Gyan’s run, Bagbin’s dance and Black Stars fans’ clean-up as fans celebrate S. Korea win in style
Alban Bagbin

The jubilation started right from Ghana’s legislative arm where the Speaker, Alban Bagbin was caught on camera dancing to one of the goals on the day from his office.

The ecstatic Speaker punched the air while clad in his Black Star jersey in the company of other officials of the House.

Asamoah Gyan runs

Former Black Stars captain, Asamoah Gyan was on punditry duty at SuperSports TV.

However, the ethics of being on a live set could not suppress his excitement when the deciding goal was scored.

Filled with elation, the former skipper run out of the set in jubilation shouting atop his voice.

His iconic goal celebration was his response when asked about his reaction to some moments of the game.

Fans in clean-up mode

Now, supporters of Japan’s national team have been earning praise in Qatar for their zeal toward cleanliness after each game.

This win seems to have presented Ghanaian fans with the opportunity to emulate this off-pitch tradition.

While many celebrated the win at full-time, other fans were seen moving boxes around to collect the waste left by their colleagues.

South Korea’s Son not in selfie mood

Another interesting sight came from an official from the Ghana dressing room posing for a selfie.

The subject Son Heung-min was almost in tears after his team lost at full-time.

Otto Addo’s side will now face Uruguay in their last game looking to secure qualification to the next stage of the competition.

Source: Myjoyonline

 

Continue Reading

Trending